Tuesday 26 January 2016

Just Answer the Question! (Adventures of L-Plate Gran)


Little G and You must be mad are just back from New York, where they have been visiting family for a week. I have asked her what she got up to, but all Little G will tell me is 'Dumbo', which was the movie she watched on the return plane journey.

I know she had a good time, because You must be mad told me. Central Park's playgrounds were visited. The petting zoo was an out and out hit. Apparently as they left, Little G said 'Bye-bye new toys' which was very sweet. But can I get anything out of her? Nope.

It's the same with nursery. She spends two days there, but all she will divulge is that she had 'toast.' Nearly one year of eating toast has happened. I still haven't a clue what else she does. I'd worry about her mental processing, except that if asked, she can reel off exactly what she and I did last week: Blue bus > baby rhyme time > grandma's house >kitten > biscuits > pink slide > pets. OK, it is a tad verb deficient but as a basic summary, it's pretty accurate.

Little G would make a very good secret agent. Her feigned selective memory is impressive. She can recall a goldfish we saw at Vets for Pets three weeks ago. Ask her about the location of her gloves though and she morphs into vaguely non-plussed mode. And stays there until you give up and go and find them for her. And if the mark of a good politician is the ability to avoid ever giving a straight answer, then Little G could run the country. Based on her current evasive skill set she probably will be. Possibly a lot sooner than you think.



To be continued ...   ....






13 comments:

  1. Am I fortunate not having kids and thus no grandkids ? Reading you makes me double think

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say: minding Little G - exhausting though she is, is such fun.... I can always loan her out.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Entertaining as always! Alix tells me everything about her time in school through role play, i.e. we play at schools, she's the teacher and she re-enacts scenes with the naughty boys. Naturally I have to play the multiple boy parts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha..we're not there yet..obviously.... she is just so evasive!

      Delete
  4. Sounds familiar. All my grandchildren seem to do at school is play, and yet, miraculously, they are learning to read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps it's just an extreme case of living in the moment. I'd love to be a fly on the wall so I could listen to one of your conversqtions with her. As for her future prospects, she's got a lot of cuteness value the present incumbents of number 10 are seriously lacking, both mental snd physical!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cutie! I always said my son should work for the secret service as he told me nothing ,he's nearly 35 and I still have to drag everything out of him and his daughter is the same. I have to ask twenty questions every time I see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was listening to D trying to find out what she did on her 'Grandma Day'; it was hilarious....

      Delete
  7. At least you get 'toast'... I get 'I can't remember' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. She might be storing it all up for a blockbuster memoir, Carol! By year 2 she could have a best seller - 'The Life and Times of Little G' ;-) My daughter is the opposite and it normally takes about two hours for her to painstakingly explain every detail of her day (she's 13 - it's all VERY dramatic!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See: YOU have ample for a teen school story!!Mine would just contain several pages with 'toast' written on them.

      Delete
  9. Yes, it's weird this behaviour, isn't it?? Toddler can't tell me what I said to her 2 seconds before, but will start talking about what she did with Grandma last summer! You're right, it would be great for secret agent work.

    ReplyDelete

So here's your chance! Talk to me. Comments will be visible after moderation.