Friday 8 January 2016

I Wish I'd Known that... A Writer's Retrospective

This isn't me!

When my first book was published in 1991, I wish I'd known that one day I'd be able to send off my edits merely by pressing a button called Send. In 1991, I had to print out the entire book, pack it up, send it through the post, wait until it was returned, red-pencilled by the editor, do the relevant correction on my very ancient computer and then print it out and send it off again.

This continued until both me and the editor reached a concordat. Now, thanks to 'track changes' I can interact so much faster without having to wait weeks, losing the momentum. And I can change or amend my manuscript whenever I want. No more huge envelopes arriving on the mat. No more pages being accidentally dropped all over the floor. Bliss.

I wish I'd known that inspiration and perspiration are actually two sides of the same coin. I used to believe that I only wrote when I felt inspired, and that until the book 'arrived' in my brain, the Inspiration Fairy hadn't turned up so it wasn't worth bothering to write. Now, 14 books later, I know that inspiration happens when I sit down and write. Every day. Even if I end up deleting it the next day. As I write, the book appears. Bit by bit by bit. And unless I write, it doesn't. Simples.

I wish I'd known that one day, there'd be this thing called 'social media'. Sitting at a laptop making up stuff in one's head is a very solitary occupation and for me, until 2012 when I joined Twitter and Facebook, that's what it tended to be. I never dreamed how many friends I was going to make; how much sharing and caring, laughs, amazing blogs, books, advice, help, support and fun was waiting out there. Wonderful.

I wish I'd known all this when I started out my writing career .... but I'm very glad I know it now!



17 comments:

  1. Ah, how things change. I can't help wondering what life will be like in another 30 years - and what sort of world we are leaving our grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and we are grateful for every single one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I could have become a writer back in the pre-computer/internet days. Certainly couldn't have hand-written novels. The writing world has changed a lot in the last 25 years and mostly for the better, in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, an all positive reflection. There's already enough negativity around. But why do you wish you had known it all before. Wouldn't that take out the suspense of the journey ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In respect to the editing..it would have been a relief..I remember thinking: is this how it's going to be for the rest of my writing career...*sigh*

      Delete
  5. Yes Carol sometimes things change for the better. I have learned very quickly that sitting at the computer and starting to write or type brings a story into my head quicker than sitting just thinking about it. I always find that strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed...... tho sometimes it takes one into strange places...but that's the excitement. I could never be one of those who 'knows' exactly what's going to happen next..

      Delete
  6. Yes, but everything you went through then has, obviously, made you more appreciative of how it is now and that is so refreshing given the society we live in which seems to take so much for granted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully true ....and I'm ready for when the whole thing crashes and we have to go back to paper and pencil

      Delete
  7. So true, Carol. I would never have written a complete book without these technological wonders. My first three books started out as blogs! Before the internet, I used to write radio plays the way you wrote your first books. And I agree wih Lynn about the appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice, C - and I look forward to republication day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, TT ...with every atom of my stressed soul ..

      Delete
  9. Your walk, or hike in to the world as a writer has given you a backbone of steel and some wonderful books. Good luck with the republication. ��

    ReplyDelete
  10. How glad I am that I wrote my novel post snail mail - it must have cost you a fortune!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah you all make me feel so old. My first book was dictated to a tape recorder. It was non fiction and part of my work as a lecturer, so that entitled me to a secretary who typed it out for me. That doesn't happen any more. It was great, except that it got embarrassing asking for more and more changes and corrections. The date? Somewhere in the early 70s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping someone who hand wrote their books will comment...anyone? Anyone?

      Delete

So here's your chance! Talk to me. Comments will be visible after moderation.