Monday 17 August 2015

Tumble Tot (Adventures of L-Plate Gran)


Despite her ongoing lack of verticality, Little G is advancing in other ways. You must be mad calls it Testing the Boundaries. I call it Karma. Suffice it to say, one can no longer rely on 100% compliance, and devious methods have to be adopted to stay one step ahead of her.

The old nappy changing routine involved plonking her on her back and performing the task. Recently, she has taken against this indignity and arches her back, refusing to lie down. I have come up with a series of 'clever wheezes' involving various toys being in charge of various aspects of said change, with her as main Project Manager. It seems to be working. So far.

Food is another area. She likes to have choices and input into what she is going to eat. So we cook together wherever possible. Little G enjoys pouring pasta into saucepans, and dropping sausages into frying pans while we sing the '10 Fat Sausages Sizzling In The Pan' song (go Google). We are the Fanny & Baby Craddock of our generation.

But however much I think I am one step ahead, there is always the unexpected event that happens when you least expect it. Last week Little G managed to climb up onto and then fall off the ottoman in her room while I was temporarily absent. She has never done it before. It is her first major tumble and she has the bruise to prove it.

I know that this is the beginning of many such falls, that neither I nor You must be mad can wrap her in cotton wool, nor would we want to, nor will she let us, but it is a salutary lesson. You can do all the Risk Analysis in the world, but you cannot Project Manage a baby.  Constant change is here to stay. 



To be continued ...          ........





15 comments:

  1. That's all part of the fun - you will all get used to bruises.

    And the nappy change - I had one that got up the second I tried to lie her down. In the end I put a toy on a chair and had her stand to play with it, kneeling behind her with my knees each side of hers so she couldn't escape, and then doing it all as quickly as possible. It's amazing how inventive you can be with a tot who things life is one glorious game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mind, I am already thinking up a strategy for persuading her t ride in the buggy rather than 'practice' her walking....and no doubt she will counter-strategise me every time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It still sounds like you're having a fab time. Glad you're enjoying her so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's a tough world. Sounds like she's an independent spirit and you are up for the challenge. I found you from Rosalind's sidebar. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any friend of Rosalind's is a friend of mine...thanks for commenting

      Delete
    2. Oh my! It sounds like little G is challenging you every bit as much as the plots for your novels. Creativity seems to be a must when being in charge of a small person!

      Delete
  5. I remember when toddler boy stopped having morning and afternoon naps,I was shattered. My granddaughtes only have naps in the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a long day when they don't sleep....and YMBM doesn't like her to have a n afternoon nap as she won't go to bed

      Delete
  6. You love every minute of it no matter how challenging! They learn so much and so quickly at this age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you taken her to Softplay. That's always good for a laugh. I terrified myself going down the slide. Millie, on my lap, loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mentioned this before...I think there is one in Harpenden...trying not to do anything that frightens me...the slide in the tiny playground is the current challeng....

      Delete
  8. Grandchildren are such fun and bring so many joys. Love the singing when cooking, great song, educational at the same time - smart thinking.
    I think as a grandma I worry more about the bumps and bruises they get when I am in charge than I ever did with my own children.
    You need to try for twins next time, they are so much more fun and great to see the difference in the same age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a fellow gran on here whose daughter has twin boys. No nononono ...hahahah sales in prosecco would rocket!

      Delete

So here's your chance! Talk to me. Comments will be visible after moderation.