Monday 20 April 2015

The Sound of Silence (Adventures of L-Plate Gran)


Before I took charge of Little G on a regular 2-day basis, my world was filled with noise and I hated it. There was DIY from next door, the radio playing pop music from over the way, the office computer whirring, the mobile beeping. Then there was the constant sound of traffic, people talking too loudly ... you get the picture. Sound surrounded me and was the background and foreground to most of my days.

Silence was a rare treat, an absence of noise that was like a welcome oasis to be savoured and enjoyed. I'd ease into the rare moments, feeling my shoulders untense, my breathing slowing. However, now that I have Little G, silence is something I dread.

Silence means she has managed to crawl to the stairs and is sitting at base camp contemplating a solo ascent. It means she has managed to insert tiny fingers into crevices she shouldn't (and how on earth did she find them in the first place?). Silence means she has found something unsuitable and is probably about to shove it into her mouth. Silence means unauthorised snacking is taking place.

Silence means that I have failed in my duties and reinforces my theory that You must be mad should never have entrusted Little G into my dodgy and clearly inadequate care. So I want noise, lovely lovely noise. Give me the busy scribbly sound of a small baby playing with her toys. Silence is such a vastly overrated commodity.

To be continued ...   .....

10 comments:

  1. Haha brilliant! I remember it so well. The only time my kids are quiet these days is if they're eating or sleeping! Loving these stories Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading once hat with toddlers, silence isn't golden - it's dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your weekly updates, how about entertaining us with your take on a finger painting filled afternoon? I look back through my rose rimmed glasses remembering the mini Rembrandts in the making, with the reality of lots of wet pictures to try and dry and lots of paint to clean up.... and it's definitely not quiet, but can be soothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah. finger painting..we haven't tried that yet.... another joy!

      Delete
  4. I know exactly what you mean. Sounds lie you really are doing a grand job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...in these circumstances, Silence is decidedly NOT Golden :):)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And when twins go quiet ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh this took me back to those moments with my own children. Silence = Mischief every time... good luck! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My eldest grandson is ten. Since the day he learnt to talk, he hadn't stopped! I love him to bits but once he had gone home, the silence it a thing to be relished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think once Litle G is walking and talking, this will also be the case here...

      Delete

So here's your chance! Talk to me. Comments will be visible after moderation.