Monday 21 December 2015

Xmas Actually (Adventures of L-Plate Gran)


Last year Little G was far too young to comprehend the wonder that is Christmas - I remember much of the time was spent trying to stop her crawling into the tree or eating the needles off the carpet. This year, two months off her second birthday, she has grasped that it is a special time and special things are going to happen.

Her appreciation is still a bit fluid though. Christmas means visiting her favourite arcade and dancing to the piped music on her special spot by the Christmas tree with the red swirly lazer lights display. Christmas means pressing our noses to shop windows and rating the decorations. Christmas means a babyccino in her favourite local coffee place, where they know her name.

She has helped to decorate two trees - You must be mad's tasteful one with themed colours, and the one here, which has luridly grinning robots and random baubles. Under the tree is a solitary packet of cat biscuits - her Christmas present to the long-suffering cat who probably deserves a whole artic-load for her tolerance.

There are now three stockings hanging up over Little G's fireplace, but I'm not sure she knows why. And a wreath on her door. Tonight we are all going to the Service of Lessons & Carols at the cathedral where she was christened but I have told her that we won't be singing 'Father Christmas Had a Sleigh, Ho Ho Ho Ho' - our current favourite, sung to the tune of 'Old Macdonald'. She sees no reason why we can't.

However I have also told her that on Christmas Day she will come over to my house, where there will be some new toys to play with, after which she will sit down to a lovely special big roast dinner with lots of her favourite things to eat. There will be crackers that go bang, but not in a worrying way, and round the table will be her family who all love her to bits. I think she understood that part completely.

From Little G and me: A very Happy Christmas to you all.


To be continued ...    ...

13 comments:

  1. A very happy Christmas to you too. I'm sure that you'll enjoy it as much as your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaye and I wish you all a wonderfully happy christmas, Carol, and best wishes for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe that's lovely Carol. My little one will be two tomorrow. I had them both at the weekend. The four year old is so excited but the youngest just enjoys the fairy lights. Hope to see my dinosaur boy this week, he is such a grown up schoolboy now. Are children wonderful? Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember dinosaur boy..and ll your splendid adventures together..what a superb start you gave him...!

      Delete
  4. Have a great Christmas, Carol - I, too, will spend time with grandchildren. The little girl will play with pink things and the three boys will probably want to play football in the house. The twins, who have just discovered the benefit of being identical, may swap clothes just to confuse me. Such stuff are Christmas stories made of.

    And, when the baubles come off the trees, let's hope for a peaceful 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel a bit out on a limb here with no grandchildren, but I have so loved reading this blog, and I almost feel a part of little G's life myself. Thank you. For sharing all these precious days you've had with her, Carol. I feel privileged to have followed Little G's weekly adventurew with you. Wishing you all a truly wondeful Christmas Day with your lovely family. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I feel she is, in some small way, part of the great cyber community on here...

      Delete
  6. I loved this post and wish I had had you as my Granma Carol :-) Best wishes to you all for a very Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's magical when they're old enough to start appreciating what's going on around them. Alix, at 7 now, dances randomly to Christmas music in shops and gazes with wonder at displays. We are truly blessed Carol. Thanks for sharing Little G.

    ReplyDelete

So here's your chance! Talk to me. Comments will be visible after moderation.