Friday 29 April 2016

'Bookshops are not the only fruit'


I was reading this excellent blog post the other day (sorry can't re-find it, have looked) in which the writer said that eventually there would only be a couple of publishers left, as writers were fed up of the measly 10% or less royalty rates being offered, when they could get 70% by self publishing.

I've heard this being said for years, with publishers complacently affirming that they will always take first place in book production. Not any more. There are now so many easily downloadable publishing programmes, and people on Twitter offering to help the self-published that it is VERY EASY to get a good product out there. (Anyone reading this, contact @GeorgiaRoseBook one of the many who can guide you through the process).

The other decline, which is becoming very evident, is that of bookshops. Once the go-to literary purchasing spot on every high street, they are now becoming a rare species. Most people attribute this to the rise of Amazon, and the scrapping of the net book agreement, which allowed shops to undercut each other on prices. I blogged about the subject HERE

The lack of support bookshops give to most Indie writers and the inconsistency of their policies means that writers who want to sell paper books as opposed to ebooks urgently need to seek other retail outlets, just as they sought other publishing outlets originally.

I can't get any of my books into my local Waterstones -  even though Honour & Obey actually features St Albans as a location, because I am published by Createspace, the publishing arm of Amazon. Even though the quality of the books is superb and they have proper ISBNs .

But a lovely up-market gift shop, Serena Hart @SerenaHartGifts stocks signed copies and sells them consistently. I also sell lots of books via library talks, local Literary Festivals, book groups, the WI, and am currently exploring other gift shop venues around my area. Libraries may be prepared to stock your books too, especially if they have a local ambience.

If you are happy to be your own rep, arrange your own discount (and remember, Amazon Createspace gives you a members' discount if you order in bulk; I imagine it's the same for other publishing companies) and offer extras like signing the books, it is possible to supplement your ebook income. I love seeing my books in 'non-bookshops' as they are far more visible than when they were just one volume on a shelf. And I get books in the window too (see pic). Never ever happens with Waterstones.
What's not to like?





10 comments:

  1. So glad I'm ebook only, it makes life so much easier! Thanks for including the excerpt from my review for Death & Dom in the side bar :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like holding an actual book.... must be my age..and your reviews are always quotable!

      Delete
    2. I find books cumbersome now, only read them in the bath. Sometimes I have a surfeit of baths if I'm reading a really good one!!! It depends how and when you read, doesn't it? I often lie back against pillows when reading so hold my e-reader up; it's lighter, and the cover is very soft (and battered!) leather, so easier to hold. Never thought I'd prefer it to books, either; I was surprised when I found I did, a couple of years ago.

      I do envy you the joy of seeing your actual books in shops, etc, though, I have to say!

      As for the reviews - thank you! That's a lovely compliment, and reassurance that I'm 'doing it right'... I think it's important to review for the average reader.

      Delete
  2. I think I'm the only lucky person in the country with a local bookshop that supports me as an indie writer. So here's a quick shout out for the White Horse Bookshop in Marlborough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you... Sean of St Albans Waterstones has gritted his teeth and agreed to a meeting. Purely on the negative publicity they have via me. Which is NO WAY to 'run' a book selling business!

      Delete
  3. Main (and preferred) reading space is in bed. No, never any, electronics in bed. So I still prefer books in paper. Might be the haptic issue. Do not own a kindle. Just the app on phone Besides reading on the phone is a pita

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only English language bookshop prepared to keep a (very few) of my books is in The Hague. They are even reluctant to do that but because I support the shop by holding events there, I think they feel obliged. I can't get any other shops to even consider me. Very sad. I'm thinking of starting my own bookshop, especially for indie writers here in NL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please...think of all the wonderful books you could stock!!!Including, of course, your own!

      Delete
  5. I do have my books in two lovely bookshops and two pubs! What I find is that it is very difficult to get your book noticed in a shop filled with books, however, when yours are the only books in a place they get seen, picked up and bought and I'm delighted with the turnover from those places.

    Great post Carol that gets the word out that bookshops are not necessarily the answer. Many thanks for the mention as well, I'd best get back to my workshop writing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! Great blog and great ideas...from a great writer! You are right about the quality of your books! Thanks for this blog!

    ReplyDelete

So here's your chance! Talk to me. Comments will be visible after moderation.