Saturday 29 February 2020

You Don't Have To Be Jewish ...


Hello. My name is Carol and I'm a hypochondriac. I am also Jewish. You don't have to be Jewish to be a hypochondriac, but if you want to do it properly, being Jewish gives you a definite edge.

No, I don't know why. Maybe it's thousands of years of knowing we are the Chosen People while being constantly told to go and be chosen somewhere else. Listen, what do I know? Am I an analyst?

I do know that I spend a lot of time on the internet googling symptoms that I might have. And I mean A Lot of time. As a result, I have narrowly escaped a whole raft of illnesses, including some that are apparently only present in cattle.

Being a Jewish hypochondriac means that I always make sure I add 'and cancer' just before I click the search button. Because that is the constant fear, lurking within the true devotee to self-suffering.

Obviously, having actually had cancer twice, I have an edge on other Jewish hypochondriacs, and on you as well. But I don't want to brag, here. Let's just say, I am more Chosen in my self-imposed neuroses than the rest.

Which brings us to the IBS. I have just started a hashtag #JewswithIBS, because we ALL seem to have it. Mine, since the Brexit result, the election result and a couple of family things, got so bad that I finally referred myself to the doctor. There's only so long one can go without a proper meal.

Long story short: every test, every scan, every X~ray came back 'negative'. No cancer. Anywhere. So I was sent on my way with several prescriptions for tablets that might 'help'.

But. You know those 'Read all of this leaflet carefully' instructions you get inside boxes of medication. Well, I always do. Thoroughly. Because it's always interesting to get a list of ready-made symptoms to worry about. First perusal knocked out Medication 1 that advised not to take it if you had no appetite and were losing weight.

This left Medication 2, which I started taking regularly, checking the warning list of adverse reaction carefully. And guess what ~ within a week, I was 'developing' symptoms: tingly fingers, dizziness, nausea, and a presumed difficulty operating heavy machinery.

So now I have to google every single symptom separately, in case any of them are related to the incipient cancer that the tests didn't find, but might be lurking somewhere for all I know.

As for the current Coronavirus scare ~ it's coming up fast on the outside rail. I shall be getting round to worrying about it, once I am able to operate heavy machinery again.
    Sufficient unto the day is the hypochondria thereof.








10 comments:

  1. I am not Jewish but I share your obsession with searching the internet for my symptoms. Have you had you had a blood test for your thyroid levels? I came up negative results for all sorts of things until they finally found hypothyroidism. After 2 years of gradually upping my dosage of thyroxin I am finally able to eat and digest food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, they tested for that. Very thorough.But I am convinced that I am progressing down the 'what a shame it wasn't caught earlier path'. I have been going down it for years....

      Delete
  2. Carol, you really should write a follow-up book to Salcia Landmann. A nice change to Victorian crimes. L'Chaim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite all your trials, Carol, it's so good to find you still posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Join the club - JIA - Jewish IBS Anonymous except I'm not anonymous but it kind of flows. Had my problem since I left teaching with a breakdown in 1995. Tried pills, changing my diet, herbal remedies, yoga, reflexology, acupuncture. I've even tried hypnosis but nothing will rid me of the problem. My only mantra is that IBS will not stop me from doing what I want to do although it means I often turn up to events totally drained, exhausted and still with that worrying uncomfortableness down in the depths. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed how similar we all are! Take care of yourself...amazing lady.

      Delete
  5. Ha, the only thing I can claim from the above is the potential to be a hypochondriac, but boy am I good at that! You’ve only got to tell me you’ve got something and I feel the symptoms. I know I haven’t but tell my psyche that. I’m so glad it’s just IBS, Carol. Uncomfortable though it is (runs in my family, so I know first hand), it isn’t dangerous unless of course you stop eating completely. Swnding you lots of love. Such a horrible time, this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you, Jewess.
    Thx for being the
    descendant of the
    King of Kings...
    Cya soon.
    be@peace.

    ReplyDelete

So here's your chance! Talk to me. Comments will be visible after moderation.