Monday 20 July 2015

Last Babe Standing (Adventures of L-Plate Gran)


It is a paradox but 'constant change is here to stay' as far as small babies are concerned. When I first started minding Little G, she was a year old, toothless and verbally maladroit. Fast forward seven months and the changes in her are amazing.

Teeth have appeared - not many admittedly, but enough to make me less willing to stick a finger into her mouth to fish out some stray object she is trying to choke herself with. She is starting to speak, picking up new words all the time, and I am painfully aware of the bad language she hears in the street as we go about.

Alas, in one area of development, she has been resisting change: she is still not walking. It is driving You must be mad crazy. All the NCT babies are walking, apparently. All the babies we meet down at the little playground are walking - and many are younger than Little G.

This week however, the nursery reported excitedly that Little G had stood unsupported for the first time. Being a true sceptic, I decided to try it out on the first of my minding days, so I waited until she had bum-shuffled onto the carpet. Then: 'Stand!' I commanded. Mirabile dictu! She stood.

I gave her the sort of rapturous clapping and yelling that a teenager might give their favourite boy band. Encouraged, she stood again. On her return, I told You must be mad ... who also went through the same procedure. Several times. A milestone had been reached. We rejoiced.

Next day, flush with my ability to control a baby, I asked Little G to stand. She refused. I tried again. She shook her head. I decided it was probably just one of those things. She was tired. Eventually compliance would return. A short time later, I heard crowing and loud clapping coming from her room, where she was having some solo play time.

Creeping upstairs, I peered round the door. Little G was standing in the middle of the room, giving herself a huge round of applause ... and standing again. Whoever said you should never work with children or small animals had it absolutely dead right.



To be continued ...    ....


10 comments:

  1. I've started elocution lessons with my 22 month old grand-daughter. Bay bo has become pay do so we've nearly reached play dough. Now to make her roll her Rs like her Scottish ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha ... we try. They outwit us at every turn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She'll get there - bottom-shufflers have less need to walk (and tend to walk later) as they have both hands free as they get around - while crawlers need to change position to hold or play with anything. It's just one of those things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interstingly - she does both ...even less need to stand..and when she does, you become aware of how strange it must feel..and how illogical to a small baby.

      Delete
    2. If she does both then she can get around fast enough without walking. But one day she will - you really won't be taking her to school in a buggy!

      Delete
  4. never a dull moment though, is there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, going through similar with my daughter. She's ten months and trying to walk but drags either me or (usually) her mummy around everywhere! As she's our second we realise this time to embrace all of this as once it's gone, you crave the attention again. Must be even worse for grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What worries me is when she IS walking..I'm not a fast runner.................................yet!

      Delete
  6. My eldest was 10 months before he walked, but he seemed perfectly happy crawling like a mad thing. In fact, I think he covered more ground much faster on all fours lol. The down side of course - everything in the house has to be lifted up a level. When Lee finally stood up he could reach the phone and yes, his first call was to 999!! Good luck x

    ReplyDelete

So here's your chance! Talk to me. Comments will be visible after moderation.