Friday 6 July 2012

Talli Roland blogs on self-publishing

Talli Roland is one of the many witty 'chicklit' authors delighting readers with her humourous take on modern life, love and relationships. She also has one of the prettiest blogs around: http://talliroland.blogspot.com/

I invited Talli to share her journey from having a publisher to being a self-publisher for a couple of reasons. Firstly, because I am currently making the transition myself, and it is always interesting to read how another writer accomplished it.

Also, although I only met Talli briefly at a RNA gathering in June, and I'm sure she wouldn't remember me from a bar of soap if she passed me in the street, she has been unstintingly generous in her advice on setting up this blog, and the 'blog etiquette' that needs to be followed. She has a really kind heart, and is one of life's encouragers, for which I applaud her.

I asked Talli: Why the move to self-publishing? This is what she replied:

''Hi everyone! I'd like to say a big thank you to Carol for inviting me to post my journey into the wonderful world of self-publishing.

After having two novels published by a traditional small press (The Hating Game and Watching Willlow Watts), I had a decision to make with my third, Build a Man. I could submit it to my publisher, who might publish it. I could submit it to another small publisher directly. I could continue submitting to agents, in hopes of getting a big publisher, or ... I could go it alone.

With my publisher, the majority of my sales were on Amazon - and in e-books. So why couldn't I hire a cover designer and a professional editor and keep all my profits? Any small press struggles with bookshop distribution, and I already had a very good situation. I decided I wouldn't leave one small press for another.

So, that left two decisions: try to get an agent, or go it alone.

Let's say I was lucky enough to get an agent. Would they be able to sell my novel? How long would it take? And if they did sell it, how long would I have to wait until it was published? All things considered, the fastest would probably be a year - if I was super fortunate. In one year, I could write three novels and have them bringing in revenue. Not only that, I've already made from one e-book (The Hating Game) what big publishers might offer me as an advance for two or three books. The financials just didn't add up.

So, that left going it alone as the logical choice for me. I can control my output. I can build up my readership on my own timeline. And I can keep the revenues! I truly believe readers don't care who or what has published a novel, as long as it's an engaging, high quality story. I released Build a Man last December, and after selling almost 20,000 copies, I couldn't be happier with the decision I've made. In fact I plan to continue self-publishing in the foreseeable future, and I've just put out my latest book, Construct A Couple.

Things are changing fast in publishing. It's exciting for everyone, and I can't wait to see what's ahead!''

Talli Roland
Web:
Follow me on Twitter
Read my blog
Find me on Facebook and Goodreads
Amazon Author Page

17 comments:

  1. Carol, thank you so much for your kind words! And I'm sure I would remember you from a bar of soap. :)

    Looking forward to seeing you at future events, and thank you for hosting me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a trailblazer Talli, well done for being so enterprising in a difficult world for writers. Yours is also a quality product which I think is very important for the self-publishing world. Standards need to be kept up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're making so much more money, keep going, Talli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I probably have made more money. I'm going, Alex! or I'm try to, anyway.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for highlighting your decison, and the advantages, so well, Talli - it makes complete sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosemary. It wasn't an easy one to make, but I'm glad I did.

      Delete
  5. You're making the argument for self-publishing so much more enticing. Your arguments are so logical. Keep up the great work!


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful! So glad you had Talli over to share! And I agree... readers don't care who published it as long as it's worth reading! Sounds like you made the right decision Talli. And may I say... I love your covers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Leigh. And thanks for your kind words on my covers! I kinda like them, too. :)

      Delete
  7. Good for you. I'm starting this journey, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, it's such a wonderful ride! Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  8. Talli, thanks for sharing your journey. Your decision was carefully thought out and your success is an inspiration for those of us trying the same path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. It was a tough step to take, but I'm glad I took it!

      Delete
  9. Makes perfect sense to me, Talli!
    But WOW. Three books a year? That's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always good to hear from you, Talli - an inspiration, whether on social media or self-publishing!

    ReplyDelete

So here's your chance! Talk to me. Comments will be visible after moderation.