Monday 5 October 2015

Bag Lady (Adventures of L-Plate Gran)


Last week I decided it was time to change from the jolly yellow summer bag to the slightly more sombre dark red autumn one. This involved the usual contents swap, which, prior to You must be mad handing over Little G, meant extracting my purse, lipstick, mirror, mobile and sundry tissues and placing them in the new bag.

This time the contents swap consisted of extracting and disposing of: a grape that had gone soft, 5 raisins, a 0.2 cm layer of biscuit crumbs, a small green car that I don't think belongs to Little G or to me, a bus ticket with baby scribbling on it, a packet of crayons with one missing, and a postit note to myself reminding me of something that I can't read (see grape) but I can just make out the words 'Important' at the top.

There was a double mirror with small claggy fingerprints all over it, and an orange lip pencil that had orange lipstick smeared all over the top - because Little G runs on the basis that if I tell her NOT to play with my possessions, the ban only applies while I am actually in the room. Once I go somewhere else, it is open season on my bag and coat pockets.

I also discovered a small spoon, some hand gel, and a packet of unopened chopsticks which Little G must have lifted from Wagamama on one of our visits and I noticed that my mobile was currently showing a time and date of 8.45 on the10th August. I don't know how she does this, but the baby is clandestinely good at demonstrating her communication tool expertise. The last time she left the camera on standby, and drained the phone battery.

I have now placed all MY essentials in the red bag. In six months time, I shall have to sort through it all once again before transferring the contents back into the yellow bag. And goodness knows what on earth I will find ... the mind boggles.


To be continued ...    ......







15 comments:

  1. I use a ruck sack myself and tend to find old recipts and bits of paper covered in undecperable scribbles when I have a clear out, oh and hearing aid batteries. I always have a packet of those on me- until I want a new battery that is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, thanks for the giggle. At least she's only lifted the chopsticks - so far! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she used to steal sugar from the Conran Shop coffee place....but she ate it before we could stop her.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you're describing my handbag....I wondered where that little green car had gone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you get into toilet training you'll end up carrying whole sets of spare clothes - and then, when you change bags there'll be one pair of screwed up pants at the bottom and you'll just throw them in the washing, because you can't quite bring yourself to smell them just in case they somehow escaped the regular pants clear-out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of seasonal bags - I'm not that organised or coordinated! In fairness, I always had a lot of crap in my bag, but it is now different crap. & the biscuit crumbs are new - I NEVER had random bits of squished food in my bags before kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh goodness, it sounds much like the contents of my bag even without the baby - although I don't have orange lip anything to smudge on anything else. Isn't it amazing how fascinated they are with mum's/gran's possessions. I dread to think what might happen if I ever have a small thing to look after - I've just read Jo's comment, and that sounds about right :) It reminds me too of the next phase - the fascination with the toilet bowl. Or maybe she's already got to that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so enjoy these posts coming in each week and I'm loving the thought of changing bags over for the winter...I didn't realise that was a thing as I stick with the same bag for years...not sure I can bring myself to look in the bottom of it though...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a lot of junk you end up with when children are involved. I have a box which is full of junk jewelry which I have collected over the years and my granddaughter loves to go through it and play with the jewels She doesn't know it's junk she thinks it's very special and has to be so careful with them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Taking of toddlers and phones - a 2 year old grandson rings most days on Facetime - and rings off with howls of laughter when we answer. How do they do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunno ..but Little G can dial my mobile ... and frequently does when mum out of the room and she is on a bag raid...

      Delete
  10. I bet babies will be born with more dexterous thumbs in the future ready for texting too. Lovely post Carol

    ReplyDelete

So here's your chance! Talk to me. Comments will be visible after moderation.