Wednesday 17 December 2014

Cancer Clear and Very Grateful



As some of you know, this time last year, I was diagnosed with DCIS ( ductile cancer). It was picked up at a routine screening and meant I spent either side of Christmas as a patient on the cancer unit at the Luton and Dunstable University Hospital - I cannot praise the staff and my consultant enough.

At the time, I was told I should have further follow up treatment: 3 weeks of radiotherapy. I was reluctant: I don't believe in unnecessary medical intervention, and I trusted my surgeon when he said he had removed all the cancerous cells.

Friends piled in on either side of the argument. I listened, but made the decision not to go forward, even though the consultant told me there was a 70% chance of the cancer recurring. My daughter was about to give birth; it was important that I should be there for her, not wiped out by some treatment.

I also prayed. Some of you also know I am a Messianic Jew. I don't ram my faith nor my personal beliefs down anybody's throat, nor go on about it. But I am. And I felt strongly that I was being told to trust and go ahead with my decision despite the facts.

Yesterday I went back to the hospital for the first of 5 annual checkups. Given the dichotomy of my decision and those ''facts'', you can guess how the days before the appointment felt. So many conflicting emotions: I now have a little granddaughter. My writing career seems to be having a late bloom. Was all this about to come crashing down around my rash ears?

No, it wasn't. At the end of a scan and an ultrasound, I have been declared free from cancer for another 12 months. The news is slowly seeping into my subconscious which has been overthinking and catastrophizing for the past week.

The chances of being 'free' from cancer, given the odd were so stacked against me are not only an amazing relief, but a witness to ''other'' things than can come into play. Sometimes, I think we have to go with our ...instincts, gut feelings, God-breathed advice. Call it whatever suits you. I know what I'd call it. And I am grateful.







28 comments:

  1. Thank God Carol. Happy Hanukkah xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pleased for you, in all ways. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Carol - how wonderful. I am so pleased for you and take my hat off to you and your faith. A lovely lady, deserves lovely news and a lovely Christmas with her lovely family. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I rarely write this sort of post--so easy for the inevitable 'nay-sayers' to pile in. But I felt it was important to give credit where it is due. In this dark world, there shines a small light. And the darkness has not overcome it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol...saying "delighted at your great news" is an understatement. I'm bloody thrilled for you. Have a fantastic Christmas me dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, wonderful. I have so much I could say about the evils of radiotherapy and the 'cancer industry' but now is not the time and place. I am so, so delighted for you. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hope I haven't been too ''snippy'' with anybody......

      Delete
    2. Snippy, you? Never! And if you have, so what? People don't know what's going on in your life that might make you so. It's just such marvellous news. I woke up late this morning but I did remember; I didn't want to ask straight away in case it was bad so thought I would wait and see. Lost two close people 3 years ago post radiotherapy - so glad you listened to your gut. xxx

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful outcome..I nearly said Christmas present. ; ) I am so pleased for you and wish you continued good health. We all need to listen to that inner voice, trust in a higher power, and keep the faith. May your blessing continue to grow. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you well know, my little Wazzock, I am more than happy at this news....as is my knee!...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy for you, Carol. Enjoy Christmas with your family and new granddaughter <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such brilliant news, Carol. I'm so happy for you. Wishing you many more all-clear Xmases, and Happy Hanukkah !

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wonderful!!
    We all love you Carol. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope this is (as it appears to be doing) something optimistic for people to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is very wonderful news for the Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is fabulous news Carole *big smiles this end* :O)
    I'm so pleased..a huge relief for you.

    Kimmie x

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is just the best news, CarolStar! I'm so very pleased…no, that's not enough…relieved, thrilled, grateful - all of those. Christmas has special meaning this year! Big hugs!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can remember a year ago when you had the news while waiting for your first grandchild to be born, what a position to be in as you so wanted to be there for your daughter should she need you and of course your granddaughter. You put them first Carol and although I wasn't sure about it ,you had all the information and went with your gut feeling. With the help of god you were proved right and I couldn't be more happy that you are cancer free. So onwards and upwards. I'm wishing you a long and healthy life,love you Carol and love the new Tat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's really good news, Carol. What a relief! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent news - so glad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What wonderful news - cancer is so frightening and we need all the stories we can find of people who have been there, done that, and lived to wear the t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done, Carol. That's brilliant news 😀

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations, Carol. This good news is a great holuday gift! Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brilliant news, Carol. And now so much to look forward to with your granddaughter. Hope you have a lovely Christmas with your family. I'm eighteen years post cancer and grateful to be still here,watching my grandchildren growing up. Well done you for your belief in yourself

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fantastic outcome, Carol. I didn't know any of this, obviously, and I can say, honestly, that the average mucker out there would never have known. Well done that woman.

    ReplyDelete

So here's your chance! Talk to me. Comments will be visible after moderation.